Applies To: Word 2016 , Word 2013
If you have a header or footer in your document, and you want to add page numbers without losing any information in that header or footer, use the Page field code. Click Insert > Quick Parts > Field > Field Names > Page.
NOTE: If you don’t have a header or footer and you want to add page numbers, you can use the Page Number Gallery. See Add page numbers. Remember, though, the Gallery will replace your existing header or footer.
Use the Page field code to insert page numbers
1. Double-click in the header area or the footer area (near the top of the page or near the bottom of the page). This opens the Design tab under Header & Footer Tools.
2. Position your cursor where you’d like to add the page number. To place the page number in the center or on the right side of the page, do the following:
- To place your page number in the center, click Insert Alignment Tab in the Position group of the Design tab, click Center, and then click OK.
- To place your page number on the right side of the page, click Insert Alignment Tab in the Position group of the Design tab, click Right, and then click OK.
3. On the Insert tab, click Quick Parts and then click Field.
4. In the Field names list, click Page, and then click OK.
5. To change the numbering format, click Page Number in the Header & Footer group, and then click Format Page Numbers.
6. To return to the body of your document, click Close Header and Footer on the Design tab (under Header & Footer Tools).